Band Rules

I don't always reply to emails very quickly but a few weeks ago I was the first one to reply to an email by the Instructional Leader for Music in my school's area. Apparently our school board had paid for seven teachers to attend the Ontario Band Association's Beginning Band Symposium. I was selected and spent the day listening, learning, and playing my flute with a concert band made up of Grade Eight students and Music teachers. 


Dr. Quincy Hilliard was the featured clinician. He is a composer, conductor, and educator and I could have listened to his advice all day. 

The biggest challenge with attending this type of professional development is deciding which pieces of information to implement right away. I started with the Band Rules first thing Monday afternoon. 

Here's how they work:
The conductor, in his/her best military-style voice, shouts out, "Band...Rule #1!"

The band shouts back - "Sit on the edge of your chair!" and they move up to the edge of their chairs.

"Band...Rule #2!"

"Feet flat on the floor!" with a stomp with the left foot and a stomp with the right.

"Band...Rule #3!"


"Hold still!" And miraculously, the students freeze while I count down from 20.

 If any student moves, we start counting down again. Dr. Hilliard recommends counting down from 30 but for my Grade 8's that seemed to be a major struggle so we will be working our way up from 20 to one minute. That's right! One full minute where twelve and thirteen year olds are completely motionless and silent. It can be done! I believe it!


from-math-to-music

Comments

Popular Posts