Who's Here? Taking Attendance in Band


A few weeks ago I saw this post on the Melody Soup blog about keeping track of attendance in choir. I don't really feel the need to keep an attendance list for my Concert Band but I did want to know who was coming and who was skipping out! (Why anyone would want to miss Band is beyond me!)
I adapted Bonnie's idea of putting student names on magnets and having them move their names from one section to another. She used metal cookie sheets but I didn't feel like buying any and I had some empty space on my chalkboard so I figured that would do.

I typed out the names, printed them off on cardstock and attached a peel-and-stick magnet to the back. I then used chalkboard markers to write the titles and stuck the names on the board. When the band members come in they move their names from the "We are Not" section to the "We Are" section. If any students are absent I put a little dot on their cards. The students know that when they get to three dots we will need to have a "serious conversation" about their committment.



Next year, I will use a magnetic whiteboard instead as one student's name has mysteriously gone missing. I will keep it in my office the rest of the time to protect it against thieves. This technique has been very helpful for me, creates some accountability for the students and gives them a visual reminder of their attendance record.






from-math-to-music

Comments

Popular Posts