Black Belt - Jingle Bells

It's the last week of school! I cannot believe how quickly this year has flown by. Here is my final post about Recorder Karate. I may do things a little bit differently next year but overall I like how this program went.

The lesson started off with a fun Jingle Bells Mad Lib that I found here. I imported it onto my Smart Board and covered up the clip art and the rest of the story with white square shapes so that it wouldn't give away the song. It looked like this:
I just wrote the kids ideas on the page and revealed it by clicking on one of the shapes. The kids had a blast reading and singing the crazy Jingle Bells song they created.


To help the students with the challenging rhythms in this song, I created a Rhythm Slider. When the students pulled the tab at the bottom a new rhythm would appear. We clapped each rhythm and the students chose a note to play it on with their recorders. At the end, I pulled all the rhythms out and we played them in order with different notes and then played the song as written.



from-math-to-music

Comments

Popular Posts