The sad part is that the photos don't really look that different. I did stuff I promise! The good thing was that I didn't have to change the paper or borders on my bulletin boards so that saved a lot of time. Here's what I did:
- Re-labeled my bank of drawers (finally!)
- Put extra method books in the drawers and got rid of a rolling cart that was taking up space
- Set up my SmartBoard and added a computer for student use
- Moved my rhythm instrument/materials shelf beside the piano
- Removed student work from bulletin boards and moved posters to the high bulletin boards so that I don't have to stand on the ledge to hang things during the year
- Took down everything from bulletin/chalk boards except for the Learning Goals. I'm going to be posting more anchor charts/student work on those boards
- Dealt with the pile of instruments in the gym. Thank goodness for great colleagues who helped me bring them up two flights of stairs!
- Rearranged the instruments to make room for the new ones on the shelves
- Assigned instruments to Grade 8s
- Put Grade 8 mouthpieces in cups and labeled cups and reed cases with student names
- Inventoried left over mouthpieces to determine the number of instruments the Grade 7s could choose. I'm hoping for an influx of trombone players this year!
- Set up chairs and put tape "Xs" down to ensure (hopefully) that the students set the chairs up each day in the "right" way. I want them to be beautifully curved with an aisle down the middle. My husband looked at me like I was crazy when I told him about the "Xs". We'll see how crazy I am.
- Put duct tape on the ends of markers and pencils
- Set up my office - labeled magazine boxes, prettied up my mailbox, removed most of my non-music resources, set my Day 1-5 baskets out
- Created class lists and seating plans for my 16 classes
- Revamped my daybook
- Planned my first week
- Got most of my materials ready for the first day!
Now I feel better! I still have a bit of work to do this weekend but I'm feeling good and ready for Tuesday!