2/4 Tuesday - Labeling Recorders and More Floor Staff Games

My Grade 4s and 5s are gearing up for recorders, the Grade 6s have started playing their ukuleles, and I am ready for a vacation!

1. Labeling Recorders

I ordered my recorder and book package from Music Play again. Click here for more information. Again, the recorders arrived within a week. I spent two periods today labeling the student books and recorders. 


Last year, I wrote a post on labeling recorders. I was proud of myself for finding the gold Sharpie marker and had high hopes for its success. It worked well on the cases but smudged off over time on the recorders. So this year, I still labeled the cases with the marker but used my label maker for the actual recorder. We'll see how the label stands up.

2. Free Music Posters

Check out the Music posters that came with my recorder order...for free! Now, I just need to put them up in my room somewhere. Every time I place a large order with Music Play they throw in something for free. I'm very loyal now! They also gave me a free "Recorder Spirituals" book for duets with a recorder and piano. 





3. More Staff Games

To prepare my Grade 4s and 5s for note reading, I set up my floor staves again. Note: Last year I did not remove the tape until the end of the year. Bad idea! We had to scrape it off the floor (and by "we" I mean my poor Grade 4 helpers) so I won't be leaving it all year this time. Read this blog post for more staff games that I've played with my kiddies.
For this game, I split the class into two teams. I had each time brainstorm a list of words they could make using the letters of the musical alphabet. They wrote their list on a whiteboard. 

The students then had to choose one person from their team to place the letters (foam circles) correctly on the staff. I really had to emphasize putting the notes on in order from left to right. Each team would get one point per letter in the word with 0 points if the word was spelled wrong or placed on the wrong line or space. The students quickly caught on that they would get more points if they used their longest words first.

This game is actually a pre-teaching activity that I am using to prepare them for their note naming culminating assignment (more to come)!

Don't forget to check out Stay Tuned for more ideas from other Music teachers!

Comments

Popular Posts